Here’s what the clients/customers say about the types of sales reps labeled “The Challenger”:
- They offer unique and valuable perspectives on our market.
- They help navigate alternatives.
- They provide ongoing advice or consultation.
- They help me avoid potential land mines.
- They educate me on new issues and outcomes.
Suffice it to say that at Doescher Advisors, we believe the most successful new business developers “help” their clients/customers; they do not “sell” them.
So when I think about this blog’s title question and my experiences over the years, my answer is yes.
In my opinion, Hunters are very difficult to find. That being said, I would let the Hunters do their thing, but also figure out a way to have them occasionally interact with your major clients to achieve the benefits discussed in the book The Challenger Sale, by Matthew Dixson and Brent Adamson.