In our last post, we introduced the trait of Emotional Health from the Doescher Advisors Leaders Health Check-up, known by the acronym SMEP. In this post we’ll talk about the fourth trait, Physical Health.
If you’re reading this post, chances are you probably know plenty about your physical health. Things to ask when evaluating your physical health include:
- Is there something that’s been bothering me for a while? Don’t ignore pains/symptoms, like we have done. They won’t go away.
- Am I getting regular feedback from my doctor? Get a regular annual physical and follow your doctor’s advice, or get a new doctor.
- Am I getting enough sleep? Most experts would recommend seven to eight hours per night. We’ve found that some of us need more.
- How much do I weigh? Do your best to stay within your recommended body weight.
- Am I giving my body the fuel it needs? Eat regular, balanced, healthy meals.
- Am I moving enough? Exercise regularly. We suggest having a trainer design a program that meets your specific needs.
Based on our experience, if you’re not doing well in your spiritual, mental, or emotional life, it will directly impact your physical health. Where you have cracks, they will be exposed.
Barbara’s mother is 96 years old and has excellent health and no pain. Her secret weapon? Moderation.
So, now you have it — the complete program known as the Doescher Advisors Leaders Health Check-up. Sad to say, we have known too many talented leaders who have ignored one of these aspects of their health and have fallen short of their full potential. That’s why we recommend periodically performing a gut check and asking yourself, How am I doing spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and physically (SMEP)?